Thursday 9 December 2010

Caslon, Times, Gouldy

(...I was about to upload some pictures of Times New Roman, but to be honest I don't want to bore you with looking at the layout of it. You know what it looks like...I am not going to use it.)

Gouldy ld Style it is!!

Gouldly, it has a smaller x height, this means there is a tighter horizontal line across the page, this really lends itself to body copy such as this. It is interesting to look at too. It is hard to notice when reading, but each character has it's own little 'thing,' almost an imperfection, yet it seems to work. Maybe that is what makes something perfect. I had not even considered Gouldy as a serious contender when I initially picked it out, along with another 10 or so typefaces, but now I am favouring it.

I know maybe some of you think it is a bit old fashioned, but i assure you use it for a bit and suddenly it makes sense.






To be honest I an not sure what it is about Caslon, I look at it and something seems wrong. Maybe it is the long flat horizontal tails on the end of the 'p' and on the 'd' 'b' and in fact all of the serifs, they are too long, they all seem to want to be read individually. Maybe i'm crazy, or maybe I am just developing an opinion...

Either way, I do not think I will use this typeface, sorry Caslon Pro.


No comments:

Post a Comment