Saturday 11 December 2010

Bold Numbering

The development of this direction is going well. It is graphically pleasing to me to design and I have had positive feedback from Leo. However at the moment I am unsure what to do about the pt size of the header. I want them to be bold, but the chapter titles have very varying lengths, so while single word titles work large, the longer ones do not.

Either I go all smaller or I have a mixture of 2 sizes. More testing...







I had the option of using colour in this publication as it will photographs in it I knew it could did not have to be black and white all the way through. However the references drew too much attention.

This is actually a later design stage that I have dropped into this post to show the comparison.




Not only is this a device for keeping the eye moving but it also looks neat. It also adds a contemporary edge which works well in contrast with the classic layout of the type.




The end of the paragraph often came up quite short on the page. I didn't feel right about leaving this much blank space after each chapter, it seemed a bit empty and open. Not just physically, but almost left the previous point hanging nowhere.

I am not usually one to use little extra ornaments or devices such as diagonal lines as I usually do not see the need. However I felt tat by using a simple device such as a line pointing toward the bottom of the page kept the eye moving. This too, like everything was related to the Golden Section. The line end in the bottom right of the GS in the case above,

No comments:

Post a Comment