Thursday 9 December 2010

Choosing a Typeface

I wanted to choose a classic serif typeface that would create the right aesthetic for the content. Out of a much longer list, these are the 3 I boiled it down to. I felt as though I might get bored looking at Times New Roman as it is the most common typeface for standard documents. If I was going to get bored looking at it, I assumed the reader would also.

I felt as though Caslon Pro was a little too machine like, too perfect and ordered. It would look crisp on the page, but it lacked in style, no flourishes. As a type guy I just couldn't hack it.

Gouldy Old Style is a typeface I have never used, I always looked at it as if it were an old fashioned, out dated typeface. However I noticed a few things about it that I really liked. The strange contrast, the interesting angled hyphens and its slanted vertex.







No comments:

Post a Comment