Saturday 11 December 2010

3 Directions

I spoke to Joe Gilmore ann he gave me some good advice. The long story short, stop faffing around playing with the pt size of the titles, just choose three directions that are working by drawing together previous elements. Evaluate, combine, mix, match and progress quickly. He reminded me that production of this would not be quick.

So the reason this design seems to come out of nowhere is because it kind of did.

This is the 3rd concept design, using the titles and layout and from concept 1 and the use of colour from concept 2 I brought this one about. I quite like it really. It is certainly more playful and characterful. However I still like the simplicity of the black and white design.

I also experimented with the chapter titles, rotating them 90 degrees and putting them far over to the right of each page. This has a lot more flare, but possibly takes the attention too much away from the body copy. The italicised titles are neat and conform to the idea of this being a classic piece of intellectual writing.



Concept 2 is much more refined, the colour takes a lot of impact away compared to the black and white concept (3). The lighter weight of the X titles is easy going.

I came up with the fun idea for the page numbers also, they are quite large but only located in the bottom right corner. This makes it easier to flick through to find the page.



The titles of this need work still. After creating the other two concepts I can see that the pt size should be brought down all round. 18pt should be enough. I think this is still going places.



No comments:

Post a Comment